More Reports & Reaction...

Chris Casper, manager of Bury, was delighted with his side's efforts :"It was a funny night. We won well and we deserved it for all the hard work we've put in over the last few weeks. But we still didn't play as well as we can.

"I suppose you get greedy. You want to win well and play well. We just didn't play as well as we have been or dominate as we have been.

"We didn't defend as well as we could have done. At 2-0 up we suddenly thought where do we go from here and started to do some daft things.

"At half time we said the next goal would be the killer and that if it was Mansfield going to score it we would have to make sure they had earned it.

"But with our pace up front we always looked dangerous and we got the third goal which was a superb finish."

2 goal hero, on loan Danny Reet said "To say it's my first start, it's pleasing to go out and get 2 goals."

"The standard is not much different from what i'm used to, they are good players, I'm enjoying it"
Nottingham Evening Post:

A String of good results and three wins in the past four games certainly constitutes a good run in the season Mansfield have had to endure.

But there comes a time when you are going to be brought back down to earth.

That happened at Field Mill last night.

The Stags's form has been good under Peter Shirtliff.

A lot of the old problems at the back are happening less frequently, even if they haven't been completely eradicated, and they seemed to be marching forward.

Let's just hope last night was a blip.

After the confidence that has radiated through Field Mill since Shirtliff's appointment, surely there couldn't be a more likely result than a commanding win over a side with a solitary victory on their travels.

Richie Barker may have spent most of the day waiting for his daughter to be born but the whole Stags team started the encounter like they had been dragging their feet around a maternity ward all night, waiting for a baby's delivery.

While they had finished their previous match throwing everything at Rotherham, maybe the self-confidence had become lethargy.

In this instance, Bury were the Shakers in nature as well as name.

Their manager, Chris Casper, had said earlier in the week that a win would perhaps allow them to look up the table rather than at the trap door to the Conference.

And they started the match as if they only had one game to avoid such a dismal fate.

Alex John-Baptiste had already had cause to save the day after a slip-up by Jason Talbot before Danny Reet gave Bury a sixth-minute lead.

The Stags defence were still getting their shape after a corner had been half-cleared when Nicky Adams swung in one of those teasing crosses that look like they are going to creep in at the far post.

However, Reet took matters into his own hands and diverted a header past Pressman from ten yards.

It should have been a warning but they hardly had any time to heed it.

Three minutes later, the lead had been doubled and the old grumbles began to materialise again in the West Stand.

There seemed to be little danger when Simon Whaley picked up the ball on the left but he cut back in on to his stronger side, driving a shot into the far corner that was beyond Pressman's reach.

Stags were unable to battle their way back into the game before the break, even if the predicable boos were a little harsh on their efforts in the remainder of the half.

Shirtliff has a half-decent side at his disposal at Field Mill.

But they are not so good that they are going to brush aside everybody they come up against in League Two.

Not every 45 minutes is going to be packed full of champagne football to tingle the heart.

Neil Edwards was required to make a couple of saves with his feet from the recalled Adam Birchall, who had profited from Gus Uhlenbeek's suspension.

And, while Simon Brown looked sharp again in front of goal, the composure that saw him score four times in as many games deserted him in the opening 45 minutes.

They lack of fortune was summed up when Edwards dropped Jake Buxton's cross and Barker's hooked effort did not quite have the legs to prevent Colin Woodthorpe from clearing it on the line.

The second half followed a predictable pattern. The emphasis was on the Stags to attack and they were encouraged forward with Giles Coke coming much more into the game.

The neat approach work was there but, after 12 goals in their previous four games, they just didn't get the breaks in the Bury penalty area.

When there was a shot spilled, it was a light blue shirt rather than an amber one cleaning up the pieces.

And Woodthorpe was a rock at the heart of their defence.

Any hopes of a recovery were eradicated in a five-minute spell in the later stages of the second half.

Barker had managed to find some space in the area and, after going down under Tom Kennedy's challenge, the whole of the Quarry Lane End went up for a penalty.

The only man who didn't think it was was the one that mattered.

Scott Mathieson waved the appeals away.

To compound the misery, Reet netted his second shortly afterwards and the Stags were left cursing and hoping for better days.

Such a determined effort will see them do just that but it just serves as a reminder that none of the work has been completed yet.


Full reaction and more reports in today's Evening Post & Football Post