Cheltenham Town 2 Mansfield Town 0

Improving Cheltenham Town secured their second successive League Two victory with their best performance of the season so far in beating fourth placed Mansfield Town.

The Robins have now lost only once in their last nine league and cup games and kept their fifth clean sheet of the season against one of the division's highest scoring teams.

Mansfield, meanwhile, will hope that the result is merely a temporary setback to their promotion ambitions.

Cheltenham had the best of an absorbing first half in which both sides made an effort to keep the ball on the deck and play a passing game.

Mansfield tried to release their swift front players Derek Asamoah and Guy Ipoua at every opportunity, but although the percentage of possession was about even in the first period, it was the home side that was able to achieve more from their share.

Cheltenham midfielder JJ Melligan tested goalkeeper Kevin Pilkington with a firm shot mid-way through the half, then Steve Guinan shot just wide after receiving a pass from Jerry Gill.

Pilkington made an impressive save from Ashley Vincent 10 minutes before the break - the teenage striker having been put clear by Grant McCann - but it was Vincent who turned provider for the breakthrough goal 20 seconds into first-half time added on.

Melligan found him with a pass out to the left and the former Wolves trainee delivered a pinpoint cross to the far post, where Guinan was waiting to score with a close-range header.

Seconds later, Cheltenham goalkeeper Shane Higgs had to be at his best to preserve the advantage, stretching to tip a header from Asamoah over the bar in the last action of the first period.

After the break it was a similar story with Mansfield unable to break down a well-organised Cheltenham defence, although Higgs was forced to make one more fine save this time from Adam Murray.

The decisive second goal arrived three minutes from time when Martin Devaney's corner from the left was touched in at the near post by substitute Brian Wilson.