Shrewsbury Town 0 Mansfield Town 0

Shrewsbury Town's dismal October ended on a suitably low note - when they were held to a goalless draw at home by bottom of the table Mansfield Town, with the visitors playing the entire second half with only ten men following the sending off of defender John Mullins in first-half injury-time.

Just four weeks ago Shrewsbury were riding high in a place-off place - but their last win was way back on September 15th, since when they have taken only two points from a possible 18.

There was no disguising the frustration of the home crowd at the final whistle as a campaign which began with such promise has now turned sour.

After picking up a point at Bury last Saturday - which brought a four-match losing streak to an end - Gary Peters' men aimed to put their season back on course with the visit of the struggling Field Mill outfit.

However, Mansfield were able to settle as Shrewsbury made a stuttering start with a Colin Murdock far post header that drifted just wide, all the home side had to show for their efforts during the first 25 minutes.

The first half was held up for eight minutes due to an injury sustained by Mansfield midfielder Matthew Hamshaw, who was subsequently stretchered from the field - and during the added time, full-back Mullins, cautioned in the second minute for a rash challenge, was ordered off for a second bookable offence.

Faced by ten men Shrewsbury quickly gained the upper hand after the break and during their best spell of the match, Mansfield keeper Carl Muggleton saved well from Kelvin Langmead and substitute Neil Wainwright - who joined Shrewsbury from Darlington on-loan from Darlington this week - while centre-back Darren Kempson had a header blocked on the line.

But Mansfield weathered the storm and proceeded to see out the remainder of the game without too many alarms - with Shrewsbury's misery complete when unused substitute Danny Hall was shown a yellow card while warming up for remarks made to an assistant referee.