Shirtliff Reaction & Bury FC Report

Speaking on BBC Radio Nottingham after the game : "It was a poor start, we started poorly for the 1st 20 minutes, we weren't at the races, after that we got back into the game, crawled our way back a bit, created a few chances, but we didn't have any conviction in our finishing."

"No idea why we started slowly. I've just told the players that we'll go back to basis and it'll be a long week in training and there'll be some hard work and some harsh words and they'll have to take it on board."

"Our final ball was poor at times, I thought for the majority of the second half we penned them in without opening them up, we were a bit unlucky with a couple of deflected shots that the keeper has got no chance. For the 1st goal we were way too deep, god knows why they were that far back, so back to basis."

"Possibly we missed Gus and Gareth, but it's a chance for players to come in."

On the penalty claim, "From where I was, I looked at Richie's reaction, it looked a penalty."

"We need to get back to where we was before, playing with some energy and spirit."

"I'm hopefull of getting something else in, but nothing at the moment, but i'll be trying next week"



Bury Official Site Report:

Mansfield Town 0 Bury 3

Chris Casper made two changes to the team by bringing Neil Edwards back from suspension and dropping Matthew Tipton to the bench, replacing him with loanee Danny Reet for his first full league game.
Bury showed hosts Mansfield their intentions from the very first minute with a series of blistering raids on their defence, on three minutes, Simon Whaley flicked a good ball to the feet of Danny Reet, his run with the ball finished with Bury winning the corner, from Kennedy's delivery, the ball was cleared to Flitcroft who hit the ball back full on the volley, flickers aim though was well off target as the ball hit row Z in the half empty stand behind the goal.

Bury won another corner on five minutes when another Whaley flick to Dwayne Mattis took a touch of a defender, Whaley's delivery was again cleared by the home defence, but not very far as Nicky Adams scampered over to the touchline, his ball into the box fell superbly onto the head of Danny Reet who glanced a fine header into the back of the Mansfield goal.

Within three minutes, the Shakers had doubled their lead when Nicky Adams again played a superb ball for Simon Whaley to chase down the flank, he took one touch and cut inside the defender before advancing to the edge of the Mansfield box, before unleashing a low drive that deceived Kevin Pressman with a slight deflection of one of his own defenders to make it two, and Whaley's fifth of the season.

Mansfield briefly stepped up a gear straight from the re-start which saw Adam Rundle snap a shot of on goal, though his effort was meat and drink for Neil Edwards who easily collected the ball. Three minutes later and it was Adam Birchall that this time produced a better save from the Shakers shot stopper.
Simon Whaley caused all sorts of problems for the home defence, and a little cut back form the touch line on 15 minutes saw Dwayne Mattis get a shot on target that was easily dealt with by Pressman.
Nicky Adams had a half chance on the half hour, a long ball from Colin Woodthorpe, flicked on by Flitcroft, saw the Bury youngster stretch to get a weak shot off that flopped in the arms of the former Sheffield Wednesday keeper Pressman.

Mansfield saw half time looming and decided to do something about it, Barker and Brown combined well and got a high ball into the box, keeper Edwards leapt for the ball but clattered into Dave Challinor allowing Barker to steer the ball over the line, or so he thought, Colin Woodthorpe cleared the ball off the line to preserve the Shakers lead and clean sheet.

With no changes to either side at the break, the second half onslaught from the home side came, and lasted for around ten minutes, but the Shakers withstood the pressure and barely broke into a sweat.
Adam Rundle & Giles Coke both had good chances within minutes of the second half starting, but neither could get their shots drop quickly enough and both flew harmlessly over the bar. Rundle again on 49 minutes should have done better with a crisp shot on the angle just inside the Bury box, but Edwards was more than equal to the effort.

Richard Barker had a shot on 51 minutes that looked goal bound, a sprawling Colin Woodthorpe though had other ideas and his effort bounced clear and was assisted up the field by Kennedy.
On 55 minutes, Giles Coke hit the target with a stern shot, but his effort produced another good stop by the Bury keeper, though this time he failed to hold the ball. With Brown and Barker both steaming for the ball, Colin Woodthorpe suddenly appeared form nowhere and smashed the ball half way to Nottingham.
The ball came flying back to the edge of the Bury area and eventually fell to Barker again, his surging forward run though was blocked as he got into the box with an astounding tackle form Woodthorpe again.

Bury suddenly upped their game a little and Tom Youngs, a second half replacement for Flitcroft, created havoc on the home midfield. A tough challenge on Jake Buxton saw the Bury striker emerge with the ball, and the Stags player on the floor as though a sniper had got him, Youngs fed the ball forward to Danny Reet, who cracked off a reet good shot that flew just wide of the target.
Pressman's goal kick came straight back from Dwayne Mattis and fell to Tom Kennedy who surged forward, another shot followed and again it flew wide of the target.

Gavin Peers had been on the pitch for seconds when a long ball into the Bury box was again cleared to the feet of Peers on the edge of the box, his shot would have hit Sheffield City Centre if it wasn't for the stand blocking the balls flight.
Mansfield had a claim for a penalty on 72 minutes when Barker got forward and into the box, Tom Kennedy slid in with a superb tackle that took ball first and player second, despite protests from around 3,900 stags fans and 11 stags players, the referee waved away all protests and Bury cleared the ball.

Former Bury player Adrian Littlejohn was introduced into the game on 72 minutes, his first effort though saw Edwards punchy clear, further extending Littlejohn's two year barren spell without a goal.
Bury got the ball forward from Edwards and Buxton collected on the edge of the Mansfield box, Tom Youngs slid in and again stabbed the ball away form the Mansfield player to the feet of Danny Reet, Reet took one touch and exquisitely chipped pressman with the smallest of chips, or to put it another way, a 'Reet Petite Chip'.

From the restart Mansfield poured forward again, this time it was skipper Richard Barker who collected the ball outside the Bury area and unleashed a ferocious drove at goal, the Stags skipper stood in disbelief and Edwards superbly dived, tipped the ball away and laid the ball at the feet of Tom Kennedy who lashed it up the field.
Finally, the official put the Stags out of their misery and ended the game. A comprehensive win for the Shakers whose season is at last up and running, the Stags fans that were left in the ground quickly vanished with mild mutterings leaving the Shakers to celebrate a fine win with the 215 travelling supporters and the one Bury fan that lives in Mansfield - somebody just went into full smug mode.

Full reaction from Bury can be found on the official Bury FC Website